Happy Saturday, Loves!
It’s been some time since our “Engage-Moon” trip to Santorini Greece, but it was so breathtaking I relive the experience in my mind each time I think about it. Honestly, it’s like an escape each time I pull up pictures and reminisce. I’m sure you’ve seen the viral videos and pictures of the amazing scenery and sunsets but there is nothing like seeing it in person. Each day I thought I was in a dream. The beautiful white buildings topped with royal blue, the clear ice cold waters and rocky shore, the view of the volcano silently sitting in the distance. There is an overwhelming feeling of peace throughout the entire island. Everyone is calm, peaceful and joyful. If you are looking for a vacation where you rest and relax versus turn up and party, this is the place for you!
Where we stayed:
- Crown Suites, Greece; http://www.crownsuites.gr/, approx. $1000 USD - Kamari, Santorini
We stayed in the Garden View Jacuzzi Room. It came equipped with Cable TV (although most channels not in English), Air Conditioning, Free Wi-Fi and a Breakfast buffet each morning that was delicious, and last but not least the personal Hot Tub named in the description.
The hotel was great, customer service was awesome and everyone was fluent in English. Upon arrival they had cocktails waiting for us during check in. And since our check out time was 4am to get to our flight, they made sure to touch base with us the day before about car arrangements we may have needed. However, since we were with a group of people we booked a private car to and from the hotel so that was not an issue for us.
Upon entry to the hotel, there is a small bar set up right by the pool where they played music, and where you could buy drinks or snacks. The pool was beautiful and had canopies available for shade if you were not trying to get your tan on. Super relaxing!! The hot tub was just a few feet from our front door. Depending on which room you book and get assigned your hot tub could be different. Also, your front door could be outside the hotel’s locked gate if you book a standard room. For this reason, I would suggest you call and confirm which room would ensure you are inside the hotel gates if that is something you are concerned with. Overall, I would go back and stay here each time if available.
What we did:
Since Santorini is very much so less ‘westernized’ or some may even say ‘developed’, there are less tourist attractions. I thought it was a terrific quality and what I expected. Therefore, we simply relaxed and enjoyed being care-free this portion of the trip. I did see advertising for a boat ride around the volcano and the coast but we didn’t build it into our schedule.
What we did do was take bus rides to both Oia and Fira to explore the towns, shop, etc. They were only one or two euro’s each ticket I believe. Oia is at the top of the mountain and the bus rides along the cliffs were something else... A bit scary but their drivers are pros, so despite my fears we made it work. The bus schedule is something you’ll need to commit to memory to ensure you get back to your hotel. If you are going to Oia, just be aware that around 5-6pm it gets extremely crowded as everyone wants to get their picture of the most beautiful sunset view. Therefore, the bus rides afterward can be chaotic. Which is why I would suggest you be there early for the bus you plan to take, they pack the buses to maximum capacity and you’ll be standing like we did, having to look down at the cliffs if you don’t manage to get a seat.
The family wedding we went to was held at The Santo Winery. It was beautiful! Such a great view and beautiful sight to witness a wedding. After the ceremony we did not stay very long before heading to the reception venue back in Kamari.
- Fish Pedicure - www.kissingfishsantorini.com | Creepy! That’s all I can say lol We wanted to experience something new and have seen the craze on social media so we did it. It felt super weird because I am a person who gets freaked out about things in the water I swim in so voluntarily doing this was big of us. Lol
- Lunch overlooking the bay, Drinks and desserts hillside
- Sunset Dinner
What we ate: $-$$
There were several small restaurants in all three towns. All rather inexpensive, we basically had bottle service at each meal. Bubbly was a must for this engage-moon ya know?! The cuisine was much more diverse than I was expecting. A lot of options were available like pasta to pizza if you’re not one to try diverse dishes, but the majority of the menus were grilled meats, fresh pita bread and potatoes. Large portions, we were never hungry during this trip.
What we suggest:
- The weather was perfect, mid 60’s to 70’s, a couple highs of 80’s with clear skies. Pack light, especially for the buses with No AC and walking around the towns exploring. As well as comfortable shoes. I only wore heels to the wedding we went to.
- Stay somewhere near the bus stops if possible, your hotel will have the bus schedule and pickup locations
- There were less locations to change currency, so if possible do this before arrival. Or take advantage of the airport options. We had to rely on an out-of-date ATM for our cash.
What you should know:
- Cell phone plan suggestions still apply here (View London Post about what we selected)
- There will be a language barrier in some shopping places
- Shopping can be negotiation-style
- The Airport in Santorini is very small, during arrival there was the standard customs line but due to how small their airport was it lined the building outside. Just be prepared to wait. By time you are through the line the baggage was ready to grab off the conveyor belt. Departure - we got there right as they were opening I believe. About 5am, but we had to pay some sort of fee or get certified documentation, and the department we needed for this document or fee did not open until 6am. So we had to wait about 30 minutes or so for that to finalize our check in at the airport. Security was simple, and pretty quick but the wait to board the plane was another story. It was early so we were a little cranky but there isn’t much seating, and only one not-so-nice bathroom available per sex, so try to empty your bladder at your hotel before you take off if possible.
And that, in a nutshell, will get you to Santorini. It was truly the best week of my life thus far. Celebrating our engagement in such a magical place all thanks to my future Husband was the greatest blessing I could have ever wished for. Comment below if you have any other questions or if you’ve been, share more details with me. As we will definitely be going back!! :)