We are officially less than one year out from Wed-Day. Eeekk!
As some of you may know, I’m planning a wedding. So I wanted to share the experience for those going through it with me and those who were like me, dreaming of the day for nearly all their lives. I'll be sharing some of the basic planning tips, design ideas, how I'm approaching this big task, as well as the raw emotions that come with it. Honestly, it hasn't been the fairytale I dreamt of for several reasons, but that's okay too.
There’s something about wedding planning that makes you look at life a little closer, well I won’t speak for everyone but it definitely does for me. Not only are you thinking about this monumental day, but you are thinking about the years after and the next stages of life to follow. And of course, I can’t fail to mention the dreadful guest list construction where you are forced to examine the relationships in your life and decide who should really be there. Especially since let's face it, there’s a big expense tied to each head. A question to all my married women out there, how did you weed through the distant relatives that pop-up all of a sudden when they see you're engaged? No one remembers the high school or college graduations that were free to attend but everyone thinks they're entitled to a $200 plate.
For me, I'm thinking: Who has been there for us throughout our relationship? Who brings us peace? Who truly wishes us well and doesn’t just want to be there to compare or complain? I’ve always been a planner so thankfully I already had an idea in mind when it came to these thoughts but boy is it harder than I planned. At the end of the day I know it's going to be about us that day and that is all that matters. Marrying my best friend will be the best thing I've ever done in life, so that is lesson number one. Just remember what you are doing all this planning for. And when we strip away the stress of the logistics, it'll be worth it. So let's get into some of the basics I use to organize my plans and thoughts, view the first round of suggested resources below.
Resources Pt. 1:
- The Knot, website and physical book planner (click amazon link above to purchase)
- The Wedding Wire website has a seating chart application that's awesome, so I also suggest you have an account there too when it comes to that planning - they're free so why not?
- Pinterest (of course!) - This is not only a great resource for ideas, but also to keep your thoughts organized. For the DIY projects, they can get quite overwhelming so I try to keep them organized on my board and also let my wedding party know what I'm thinking of doing. I do this for multiple reasons, firstly - so they'll know what they are in for lol. Secondly, so they can let me know if they've come across better or cheaper ways to do something. Follow my board to see how I separated out the different tasks for more organization: https://www.pinterest.com/taylorrednose/whereverukoigo/
- Wedding website: I'm using WIX in order to build my own from scratch, but there are several template options through the Knot, The Wedding Wire and more.
- Facebook Group page - this is a great way to communicate with your wedding party. You use this as a data dump so you aren't constantly texting ten people or trying to remember what you've maybe said over the phone. If you be sure to post in your group you can always go back and see what you've communicated, as well as if everyone has seen the post. Another great function is the ability to make events within the group page - a great heads up to what events are coming down the pipeline for planning purposes. Don't forget everyone has their own lives, so the more notice the better in my opinion.
- WhatsApp or GroupMe - a free group texting app that will be great for when you all are together and need to know information immediately. The weekend of the event or even if you are taking a trip for your bachelorette like me, it's great while on vacation if you're all not in the same room.suggested
- Resources for DIY projects will be highlighted on their own post during this series